A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again*: A Guiri at La Feria de Sevilla

Objectively speaking, I understand that the Feria de Abril in Sevilla is supposedly a really fun activity.

My study-abroad year, I went to the Feria. What stands out in my mind is my feet killing me, because I wore heels with my feria costume,* and I couldn't find a cab so I ended up walking all the way home from Los Remedios, across the bridge, through the Casco Antiguo to Nervión. FML. At some point I think I took off my heels and walked barefoot across the city. At the time it didn't seem like a big deal because I was drunk as a skunk on rebujito, but my feet literally oozed the next day.

*With apologies to David Foster Wallace.

**Yes, somewhere there is a photo of me dressed up for feria. I originally went in a Canadian tuxedo because that was the fashion of the early 2000s. yes, it was as inappropriate as it sounds. i felt so underdressed, so I went out and panic-bought a feria dress & accoutrements for my subsequent caseta visits. I didn't have time to get it altered, which meant i had to wear heels and OMG the pain. NEVER AGAIN! (both wearing heels and attending the feria.)

 Still love rebujito, though.


Versión en español

Comments

Popular Posts