My Favorite Ice Cream in Sevilla
Sometimes it's hot and you want an ice cream. Obviously, the best ice cream in that situation will be the closest ice cream shop to your current location.
However if you're open to making your ice cream consumption an excursion, or you just happen to be strolling along the Calle Betis in Triana, I was really impressed by the ice cream at Frío Fino, which is part of the Manu Jara chain of bakeries.*
Absolute Triana-maxxing both with location and the "local" flavors, since it's located behind the Church of Santa Ana in the Triana neighborhood, right off Calle Betis.
![]() |
| they put a little palmera on top of the ice cream, a nice touch |
I tried several flavors over the weeks of summer. The flavors were all good in their own way and only one was inedibly gross. Here is my ranking:
The best ice cream flavor at Manu Jara Frio Fino Heladería:
1. Vanilla. (pictured above). Vanilla or "vainilla" is actually a hard flavor to find in Spain. More common to find "crema" or nougat is more common as the 'basic" flavor. You don't realize you miss vanilla until it's hard to find! Manu Jara's vanilla ice cream was my favorite.
The most Sevilla-coded flavor IMHO:
2. Palmera. Little pieces of crispy elephant ear pastry in ice cream. So good, like biting into a flakey palmera pastry, but it was the cold ice cream version of eating a palmera. Perfect for a heatwave. (I know that's not very descriptive, but it was like the old ben and jerry's chocolate brownie ice cream from the 90s, when the brownies actually had the taste and texture of brownies and not "gummy chocolate cake product." Except it was palmera, of course)
Delightful and unexpected:
3. Yogur de Amarena. Sour cherry yogurt. Very sour in a good way. Plenty 'o cherry bits. I love cherries and sour things and Spanish yogurt (because it actually tastes like yogurt), so I like this flavor a lot.
Too real for me:
4. 70% Chocolate or whatever it was called. This was dark chocolate. it was too intensely chocolately for me. El Andaluz's favorite, he ordered this every time we went.
My least favorite:
5. The worst was the speciality limited-edition flavor that was Bailey's, palmera, and yema (burnt sweet egg yolk), because it tasted like mantecados (Spanish Christmas spice cookies, a VERY acquired taste for guiris). Which is probably what people love about it but I should have considered my own tastebuds before ordering it out of FOMO, since everyone else in line was ordering it.
They have several other flavors like hazelnut chocolate and pistachio and huelva strawberry sorbets, plus some complicated puff pastry shell sundae thing. But I like what I like, and the vanilla was so good i kept ordering that all summer. I tried the cones and they were nothing special so I stuck with bowls (tarrinas) for ease of eating (40 degrees celsius and ice cream gets drippy fast!).
Be forewarned these are very small servings, maybe a 1/2 cup for the small. I think I spent around 7 euros each time for 2 small servings.
* Disclaimer: I am not a fan of Manu Jara's pastries (too heavy and sweet for my taste).



Comments
Post a Comment